Not Your Betty Crocker's Cheeseburger Macaroni Hamburger Helper
Growing up my favorite part about going to the grocery was picking out my favorite foods. When it came to deciding what hamburger helper we were going to have for the week my 1st choice was always Cheeseburger Macaroni. Don't get me wrong beef stroganoff wouldn't sometimes get in the shopping cart to, that cheeseburger macaroni was everything. So when I came across this recipe from The Defined Dish, I knew I had to try it and add my own twist to it.... aka MORE CHEESE!
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 yellow onion diced
1lb of ground beef ( i used 80/20)
1 tsp garlic
1/2 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp tomato paste
12 oz dried elbow pasta
2 cups beef broth
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheese ( I used Colby Jack)
1/4 cup parsely ( optional)
1 tsp cornstracth
A little bit of water
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Heat a very large skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil, onions and garlic to skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Next add the ground beef. Season the ground beef with salt, pepper and paprika. Saute, breaking up the ground beef as you go. Cook beef until it is no longer pink. 5-8 minutes.
2. Add in the tomato paste and stir to combine.
3. Add the pasta, the beef broth and the milk. Stir to combine and let the liquid cook the pasta...follow the instructions on the pasta box for timing.
4. Remove from heat and add in the cheese, stir to combine.
5. In a small bowl add the cornstarch and a little bit of water. Stir until fully combined then add to pasta mix.
6. Stir until fully combined and let sit for 5 minutes until thicken.
7. Serve and Enjoy!